Saturday, October 29, 2011

Never take a mistake for granted

Here's a pretty little custom order My Hubby completed. I had actually painted this dresser in crisp ASCP Pure White but then before I finished it someone decided it was a perfect fit for their needs--but in ASCP Arles Yellow.

And wow!! What a difference. I love Pure White with a really dark stained top--but I gotta say this combo might just be a new addiction for me.






So with this intro I wanted to share a bit of encouragement for all you out there who are just starting out on a new craft or talent. With any new skill there is a lot of "reinventing the wheel" as I call it. You make lots of mistakes because you don't know what you're doing. You don't know what boo-boo's might happen so you don't know how to prevent them. You don't know that your "great idea" will actually cause a big OOPS! that will lead to a complete redo.
Experience.

 It's worth it's weight in gold. Don't be overwhelmed when you have a complete redo because of a mistake. Now you know next time what not to do. And with every mistake is knowledge gained. Eventually you'll be faster and better at what you do because of that experience. 

Read, read, read other people's advice and tutorials.  If you haven't already discovered Miss Mustard Seed she's pretty much done every tutorial out there. You can spend hours on her blog!
So as frustrating as mistakes, boo-boo's, and oopsie-daisie's are . . . They're part of becoming an artist.  You will be better because of them.

Even if you do repaint a desk 6 times because you don't know that tannin bleed has to be stopped with an Oil based primer not water based. yeah. 6 times.

Thanks for visiting!




Jessica

Sharing Here:





Domestically Speaking
shabby creek cottage Furniture Feature Fridays

16 comments:

  1. Love the yellow too! Saw that your plaid coffee table was featured on Primitive and Proper's POWW favorites! AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it and i love it with the stained top. would love to feature it on my revival monday, let me know if this would be ok with you, the color is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! That's SO pretty!!! I haven't tried that color yet, but I LOVE it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought this dresser for our daughter's nursery and it is PERFECT! I can't wait to see how it all comes together since it was the first piece of furniture in her room. We love it and I'm already brainstorming more pieces we 'must' have :) THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see Arles in action! It's beautiful. Thanks to Lauren for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS!! I just used Arles for the first time too...such a beautiful colour!

    Deborah (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com...hope you'll stop by and say hi too...) ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! the color is awesome on that piece- so warm and fallish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Arles! I painted an entry table Arles, its an awesome color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The warmer color seems to give the piece a more homey feel. I love it. And thank you for the recommendation to check out Miss Mustard seed, I love painting tutorials.

    I'd love it if you would consider sharing this project on my Thingamajig Thursday Party.

    http://radcrafter.com/2011/11/radcrafters-thingamajig-thursday-party-1/

    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  10. T dresser is beautiful! Thanks for the encouragement; I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty dresser!!! Love the yellow/gold color with the dark top. Makes me want to find something to paint like that. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my I do love the name of your blog, and this Yellow piece is just so adorable!! Visiting from MMS

    ps I host a linky party every Frida-Sunday, I would love it if you could stop by and link up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing last week! I'd love it if you would stop by again tomorrow for party #2.

    Alida
    http://radcrafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. THis came out gorgeous- I love the color on this piece and the contrast of the stained top-sharing this on FB- thanks for linking up at Feathered NEst Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's to all the mistakes which let us grow!! Love the dresser, it's just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete