Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Resolution Day 5: Look For Marshmallow Clouds

Ok, I guess I need a little back story with that title . . .

One day as I was making dinner, my kids were crying. Not just crying.

Wailing. Shrieking. Biting. Fighting. Flopping on the ground.

  All I wanted to do was be a good mom. Make them dinner. Feed them with love and nourishment. How is a mom supposed to do that when she can't even walk from the sink to the stove without 3 or 4 children clinging to her pants like there was a tornado coming??

The thought hit me. I'll just be a grandma for a moment. I grabbed a bunch of mini-marshmallows and threw them in the air and screamed!

The room was silent.

Then awareness hit my children.

MOM just threw CANDY on the floor.

Suddenly squeals of delight and laughter! They forgot their misery and I bought myself enough time to get dinner on the table.

So now when the kids are over the top, we grab a bunch of candy and ask, "Hey, does anyone see M & M clouds??"   It works.  Believe me when you have 4 kids under 6 you'll get creative too.

What does all this have to do with a New Years Resolution?? Well, I'm learning that sometimes the secret to happiness is letting go of all the written and unwritten rules in our lives. 

No, you don't feed your child candy before dinner.

No, you don't ignore the dishes so you can sit and wrestle with your kids.

No, you don't let your child sleep in whatever they want--we have pajama's.

No, you don't go to the grocery store without makeup.  Someone might see you.

No, you don't close your store on the busiest shopping day of the year to be with family.

No, you don't  . . .

There are so many things we hold ourselves to. Sometimes it helps to take a lesson from kids and let go of all those rules. So, heck, if you want to wear a princess costume 6 days in a row and eat your sandwich top to bottom instead of side to side, why not.

Choose your battles and
stick with what's important.
Let the other stuff go.



Last year's Santa Photo just to make you smile.

Happy New Years Everyone!!

Thanks,
jessica

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am so cracking up at that picture! Those of us who are moms can definitely relate! I never thought to throw something in the air when my kids were little and shrieking so I give kudos to you for being so SMART!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG......I am loving your blog!
    ~Brandy

    ReplyDelete