Friday, January 6, 2012

Runway vs. Off the Rack

I know I've discussed this before, but I just thought I'd revisit the topic since I had such a pretty set of models!

As a blogger I am constantly wanting to push the edge of furniture fashion. Really, If I thought I could sell it I'd do some crazy colored piece of furniture every time!! I'd love nothing better than to try out my creativity with each piece. 

But even I can admit not everyone has a place for an apple green buffet with gray chevon stripes . . . 

But as a business woman, and mom who is trying to support her family during my hubby's graduate school years, I know I have to produce furniture that speaks to the largest amount of people: Enter stage left white, black, and tan.

So when my hubby brought home these two dressers last week I made a deal with him. One would get the off-the rack treatment. And one would get
 Jessica-ized.

(yeah, that's a real word--well it is now, because I used it and you understood it.)
  BWAHaHaHaHaHa!  (Crazy artist laugh.)

The Classic Beauty
Believe me, I get the appeal of white . . . Love this look!  The dark stain is Kona from Rustoleum and hand waxed with Annie Sloan's Clear Wax.  The white is . . well um, "a little bit o' this and a little bit o' that let's clean out all the white almost empty gallons I have around" color.    I really do love this look--I just get easily bored painting out of the same can every week. ;)

  Remember . . .  the ADHD thing I've got going on?

Oh, look! A squirrel! 


 And my creative streak. I was inspired by a piece by Brand at Vintage Style and Designs.


She used Aubusson Blue Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, with Dark wax, but when I got ready to paint I realized I had left my Aubusson Blue at home and all I had was a 50-50 mix of Aubusson Blue and Old White left over from a previous order.
Close 'nuf!

I clear waxed and then dark waxed it, and added new knobs.
 
I guess I'll always be walking a thin line between Runway and off the Rack--but isn't that what all the best designers do??
Move over Issac.

Paint In My Hair for Target . . . 

 yeah baby, I sooooo don't have a problem with selling out if it means I can go to the grocery store and buy the expensive cereal without feeling guilty. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

Sharing Here:
DomesticallySpeaking
Furniture Feature Fridays

7 comments:

  1. LOL. Look a squirrel! LOVE IT!

    I've been given the Blog of Fire award and I'd like to pass it on to you. I love your blog. Totally jealous that you don't seem to have any problems with the ASCP. But, I still love your blog- so here's a fun blog award for you.

    You have to go to my blog to get the image and then ... 5 things about you and pass it on to 5 blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layn--watch for a post coming soon about how to 'fix' a paint chip. Except the "fix" didn't fix!!! ;) I endedup just distressing the whole thing to match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost named my business "Chasing Squirrels" but when I googled it there are interesting things that appear! I totally get the ADHD thing, and I totally get the "off the rack" thing. That whole mass appeal thing can be stifling, but the rewards are there. I truly enjoy your blog! Keep on keepin' on! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so with you on the ad- squirrel!
    what was i saying?
    love love the white dresser- love those cute feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the two tone look of the first one! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband always says I am like totally focused one moment then have that "Oh, shiny things!' moment the next :).

    I love the blue dresser! Both are great but I love some fun color too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! Gorgeous!! I love love the blue dresser...of course the classic white is beautiful, but there's something fun about a colorful piece! (visiting from miss mustard seed)

    ReplyDelete