Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sometimes I still get surprised . . .


OK, by this point I've done a few hundred pieces of furniture, so I usually know about how something is going to turn out.
I gotta say this is way up there for one of my favorite transformations!
The original hardware was very heavy and Gothic. It had been painted several times, with the last coat coming off badly.
I just wasn't sure I was going to be able to lighten it up enough to give it a modern feel.
The original glass was missing and there was no back on it.
The glides on both bottom drawers were broken so the drawers fell out.



Well, what do you think now?
Worth saving wasn't she?
This pretty lady got a new coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Mostly Pure White with a bit of Old Ochre--which, yes I know is basically Old White, but I wanted to use up a bunch of almost empty cans. ;)
New satin black drawer pull and knobs. The door pulls in the center are original, I just removed the back plate and sprayed them with satin black spray paint.
Painting tip of the day?
Salvage old drawer pulls by cleaning them well and then spraying them first with metal primer and next with several coats of spray paint. Clear Coat with poly, it's less likely to chip than crafting clear coat spray.
I added a back and painted it taupe for a two tone effect.
Chicken wire gives it a fun pie safe feel.
And of course, new drawer glides added so this baby tracks straight.

Man I love paint!!
Please see the finished pieces button for pricing and availability.

Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica
Sharing here:
shabby creek cottage Furniture Feature Fridays

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to save it! Now it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great Jessica. Love the wire and the color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing and I love the colour

    ReplyDelete