Monday, February 27, 2012

For the Love of Drop Center Vanities


We fawn, we gush, we reminice in the golden days of yore. We see ourselves sitting there at our vintage vanities in satin robes with jewels and soft flowing hair just like a movie starlet from the 1930's.

But in reality, we want somewhere to put our lap tops and printers.

Ok, I know we all love them.

We also have no idea what to do with them! Yeap, I'm talking about drop center vanities. Unless you can get a chair under the center so we can use it as a desk, it's really just a 'pretty' piece, not necessarily 'useful'.

On the other hand, we all need side tables right?? Voila! Problem solved! Ok, I know some of you are going to start sending me hate mail--but really, unless it's a "real" antique, in fantasic condition, I am totally an advocate of making furiture something loved AND used, not just loved and sitting in the basement of grandma's house.
This little gal started as a low center vanity with a full oval mirror. The mirror will still find new life after some veneer repair.

Sorry, no before pic. After 2 hours, 2 computers, 2 hard drives, I've given up on finding the before pics!!

Lot's of wood filler and a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Country Grey and clear wax later:
You can see on this angled shot both the original outside on the top side table, and the bottom inside on the bottom side table. I was lucky and on this set the center pulled out easily and I only had  bit of wood filler work to do.

 Remember--two rounds of wood filler for a smooth finish!



Thanks for Stopping by!
Jessica

Sharing Here:
Furniture Feature Fridays

3 comments:

  1. I like ~~~Judy Boddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favorite kind of nightstand! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are just beautiful! And thank you for the tip on the wood filler...I will remember that! Very helpful!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete