Monday, February 20, 2012

Tutorial: Sprayed Bronze Black Drawer Pulls

Hey, I actually remembered to get photos for a tutorial!! Wahoo, miracles happen!

So here is a little tutorial for upcycling your exisiting drawer pulls with spray paint. It's pretty durable and a fun way to update old, dated drawer pulls.

And BTW--I just realized I used all Krylon products for this tutorial--just by chance, I'm not being paid or anything, and i I do use lots of different sprays. I guess this just happens to be what I had around at the moment!

 Lay out your drawer pulls upside down, or as close as you can get.  Always start your knobs upside down.

Ok, anyone see the headache  about to happen in this photo??

 Yeah, ok, TAKE out the screws so you can flip them upright for the second coat. Now we're ready for the primer.


 I use a metal primer for metal pulls. If they were wood I would use odorless, oil based Kilz spray.

Once the bottom is sprayed and dry, flip them over to do the top.


Ok, top done!
Remember, primer is just a sticking coat, not a coverage coat, so it's ok if it doesn't seem solid.

 Now on to the pretty coat. I like Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze spray because it's more subtle than other bronzed black sprays, but you can use whatever color you like.
 Again--flip your knobs over to do the bottoms first so you don't miss any spots or ding up the pretty side by doing it first and then having to flip it over. Your goal is to not have to touch the knobs at all once you spray them do you don't chance putting dings or fingerprints on them.
 And spray with 2 coats of spray paint. Once they're dry, flip and do the tops. 
 oooh, close up.

And on the dreseser:


This cute little 10 drawer dresser is painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Emperor's Silk and then Clear Waxed and Dark Wax Glazed (Dark wax with mineral spirits).  It is a custom order and not for sale.

Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

Sharing here:

1 comment:

  1. Jessica - Just did this a couple nights ago! Great tutorial!

    One nifty trick I found when I did my batch was totally by accident. The old ones I had have a collar that fits through the holes in the dresser/whatever so that the screwhead fits flush on the back of the collar (do you know what I'm talking about?) I had a hard time getting them to stand up to be painted, and when I turned them sideways, the paint wanted to run. I happened to have an old pizza box handy, so I flipped it over, poked holes in it to fit the pull collars, and was able to sit them right side up to spray them. The advantage was that they didn't move around when I painted! The collars got done when I flipped them (after they dried) to do the backsides. And - the pizza box corralled all the overspray, so I could just throw it away when I was done. Thought I'd pass it along to your readers.

    ReplyDelete