Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How's a girl to decide?!?

People always assume I have a beautifully decorated home.
 And that each piece is painted.

Well . . . neither is true.
Let me explain. No, there is no time. Let me sum up.
(10 bonus points if you can name the movie.
10 more bonus points if you just reread that with a Spanish accent.)

I choose not to decorate because I know myself.

Consider the following points
 (as I do each time I have a moment of weakness, and I start to think about decorating)

1--When I make a creative choice I have to live with (as opposed to sell) it takes me a LONG time to make that choice.

2--Once I've made my choice I take a LONG time getting it just perfect. I have to make several samples just to be sure.

3--After I've taken a LONG time making the design decision and a LONG time in research and preproduction--I feel close to my creations. I LOVE them. Really it's creepy. I just like to sit and look at them.  Kinda stockerish

4-- And after all this time and effort I love my piece.

5--SOOO, when my kids quickly dismantle and destroy my beautiful work of art--I mean fast. Really fast. nanosecond fast--I become a very grumpy grouch. Well, that's probably sugar coating it, but I'll let you figure out what I really mean.

6--So we go with the current design theory. Slip covered couch--hand me down from sis. Washed OFTEN.  Free Craigslist TV.  And all sorts of other unpainted furniture that syphons through my house on a random pattern. I'm 'acquiring' the pieces I really love for the day when I might be able to reasonably expect my kids emerge from the Masters of Destruction phase.

Think I'm kidding? 

Last Saturday My 3 YEAR OLD waited till everyone was outside with the nanny, ran back in, locked the door and stood in the window eating the center out of every Mint Oreo in the bag and sticking her tongue out at the nanny.  I'm not entirely sure this girl came with a conscience. It might have been missing from the package.

Yes, I know we should have a hidden key. We did. We keep using it and forgot to put it back.

Now times that times 4!! Even the baby is getting in on the act.  A week ago he sat and watched his big sister climb up on the kitchen counter to get into the no-no cabinet (that's were all the stuff you don't want your kids to have is-- meds, vitamins, band aids, markers, glue sticks, GLITTER).  And then proceeded to climb up the exact same way. Sigh, what's a mom to do? 

Anyhow, this long monologue (as if a blog could be anything else!!) is to express my utter delight when my hubby painted this table for the store and I realized I had found the color I want to do my dining room table!! This is a mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Graphite & Paris Grey. And for some reason the top has a very slightly striae effect which I LOVE!!!!

Of course when I finally paint my table it will sit in the basement for a full 6 weeks to make SURE it has FULLY cured. If the table shows any sign of weakness, my kids will pounce at first opportunity.  Like a lion watching the baby lamb.  But when I do finally commit to actually decorating my house with a purpose--as opposed to decorating by sheer accident because you set something down and 6 months later it's still there . . .  I think I'm going to have to work this color in!  

 OOk, so I guess you can see where I stopped painting last summer when I opened the store. There was a pile of stuff here that night, and well, this is how it stayed.
 Even a gal who finishes everyone else's to do list, has a to do list of her own!
 And do you see this sheen!  Two coats of Annie Sloan Clear Soft Wax buffed to perfection.
My hubby has mad skills!
 Loverly!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

Sharing here:



Furniture Feature Fridays

2 comments:

  1. what a fun table! i love your decorating style- you gotta do what works for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess Bride! Heh, heh, heh.... I'm good :-) It's so easy to fall in love with your furniture- you are a talented girl!

    ReplyDelete