Wednesday, May 2, 2012

True Blue . . . A week of Primary Colors

This week I'm stepping out of my comfort zone--it's all about primary colors!
Sooooo . . .  To kick of week of stepping out here's a gorgie goo blue number. . . . painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Napoleonic Blue with both Clear Soft Wax and Dark Soft Wax. 


Before

Can you see it?? See all the beauty? Never give up on a piece this good even if she is a bit beaten and battered. The top was drying when I took this photo. I had to bleach it out . . . Yuck.
  Nothing like a good old clamp and glue to set you right again!

After
(Yes, the two windows are for sale too . . . aren't they awesome?!)

The top was sanded completely bare and then stained with Dark Soft Wax. I applied it 3 times--the first coat simply soaked right in the wood was so dry!

 I totally love all the imperfections on this piece--the wood splitting on the legs, the crack on the top . . . All those wrinkles are well earned! I'm sure many hours were spent sewing children's clothing here. ;)
 I know the fabric choice is a bit unexpected for a piece this formal--but I really wanted to keep the feeling light and youthful.
 And for those of you followed my upholstery tutorial, here is the reverse double pleat I like to do. Instead of pulling the center out, you pull it down first and then tack the corners so they meet and the center.
Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

Sharing here:


Somewhat Simple
Furniture Feature Fridays

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I really love that color!! Not something I've used before but It looks so good on the table - great job Jessica!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really love that color!! Not something I've used before but It looks so good on the table - great job Jessica!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really love that color!! Not something I've used before but It looks so good on the table - great job Jessica!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fabulous Jessica!!!! I love it!!!! Nice job!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question about AS waxes. Currently we are using a cheaper wax (I think it may be Minwax? Comes in a yellow tin...) as a tester because we'd never used a wax before. I'm finding I LOVE the finish it imparts, but it's hard to get it not streaky or swirly, and if you don't catch it at exactly the right moment of drying, it sets up and doesn't want to buff out.

    Are the AS waxes much better in this regard? Can you suggest a better technique to apply (we are currently using cheesecloth, etc) I REALLY need to get up there to see you! Trying to figure out a way to get to your store and still help my kid get ready for prom on Saturday. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Jessica. I love the before and after photos. You did very good justice to Napoleonic Blue! I agree with the fabric on the chair. Sometimes too formal can look a bit stuffy. This is fun and exhuberant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! I have a can of N Blue just waiting to be opened and a desk in my garage just waiting to be painted. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice job Jessica, you go girl!! xoxo Hip Chick

    ReplyDelete
  9. big fat SWOON!!! i love love the color and against that gold.... WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that blue. I have not tried that one yet. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Beautiful color. Love the chair as well. Nice job on finishing the wood. A lot of people wouldn't have bothered. Just curious about the bleach, did you dilute it? And did you leave it on for a day or so? I was going to try it on one of my pieces, but wasn't sure if it would work. My email is bicycleliz@yahoo.com....Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessica, this is the perfect shade of blue! I'm a huge fan of ASCP colors. Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete