Friday, July 6, 2012

Color Recipes

One of my favorite things to do is create my own recipes . . .  recipes for food is obvious, but I also love to create my own recipes for Chalk Paint (TM) decorative paints. 
I guess it all goes hand in hand with my 'need to create or I might shrivel up and die' personality. Remember this is the girl who made and sold Fimo beads to the kids in my high school--and at Grateful Dead concerts, but that's A WHOLE 'nother story.
So ever since the one and only Annie Sloan encouraged us to create our own recipe books, I've been making a more diligent effort not to just slop this and chug, chug that when mixing paints.

FYI--to make a recipe I use a baby medicine syringe. I work in .5 tsp increments for each color. Then I simply apply the ratios when mixing larger batches.

So for this recipe for a Tiffany blue inspired color I mixed:

1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 tsp Pure White
1/2 tsp Florence
1/4 tsp Provence

or

3 parts Pure White
1 part Florence
1/2 part Provence

and later when making the big batch I mixed

1 1/2 cups Pure White
1/2 cup Florence
1/4 cup Provence.

Look closely at this recipe (the fabric was what I was matching for the client)
The big rectangle is my original recipe batch. The circle in the top left corner was my big batch creation I made using the ratios method. Not bad, huh?

(note: whites are off in this photo--it's too blue.)

And here's a shot of my Florence and Old White page. Ok yeah. Let's be honest. Writing out THE ENTIRE WORD Florence and ENTIRE TWO WORDS Old White was waaaay to much to ask of my ADHD brain. 

And here are the bowls from a recipe making session. Each of these colors was made using difference combinations of Chalk Paint (TM) and I have the recipes for each one!!  I can't bear to throw away any extra paint, so I usually put the extra on some home decor item I have laying around. This time it was Texas stars.

And here is the Tiffany blue inspired color on two pieces:



 
Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

Sharing Here:

14 comments:

  1. Love the color Jessica! Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe! The table with the drawers looks fabulous with that sweet chair. The Grateful Dead....hmmmm....very interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much Jessica!!! Cant wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jessica, you are not only brilliant, you are generous...thanks for sharing, i love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Color Recipes
    Please keep it coming and I'll be back for a more bit of surprise! It seems so simple and yet extremely useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE all the color mixes.Especially that Tiffany blue.Those pieces you painted are beautiful!
    (((Hugs)))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that color!! You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking about painting a wood Hoosier cabinet in this yummy Tiffany color and doing the inside in Emperors Silk to highlight the red Bakelite handles. Thank you for solving my color dilemma. GREAT BLOG! It's an interesting story how I found you.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this post...thank you for sharing with us!

    janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I'll
    be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!
    Take a look at my site ... InstantCashLoan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It's pretty price enough for me.
    Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably did,
    the net will be much more helpful than ever before.
    Also visit my website ... FastLoan1080

    ReplyDelete
  11. We absolutely love your blog and find most
    of your post's to be exactly I'm looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome website!
    Feel free to surf my web blog : nyireland.Com

    ReplyDelete
  12. An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I believe that you need to write more about this subject, it may
    not be a taboo matter but generally people do not
    discuss such topics. To the next! Many thanks!

    !
    Have a look at my web blog - doblajemexicano.com.mx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks very interesting blog!

    Also visit my web page :: google purchase 111 8th ave

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be able to find good info from your content.

    Here is my web page; http://www.etatravelmax.co.za/vw_14

    ReplyDelete